Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Writing Books Is Hard...

You know, I really like to think of myself as modest. I am, perhaps, a bit self conscious about even the things I know I do well. That said, I think I'm pretty proud of this blog overall. Whenever I come here to express what I happen to be feeling, I almost always come away feeling satisfied. Even if nobody pays attention, I've said what's on my mind just about as well as I think it could be said. Sometimes I need to add a few things here and there, but in general, I'm happy with it.

At this juncture, I should probably mention...writing a blog post...a whole lot easier than writing a book. When I write to my blog, I don't have to keep track of all these interdependencies for continuity. I don't get supremely disheartened when I know I have to change something that's going to have to be propagated throughout. I don't have to worry about whether or not secondary characters are overshadowing the main character. I don't have to go through this whole process of creating an entirely new world with elements that are familiar enough for the audience to be comfortable but different enough for them to be excited. I don't have to edit each blog post four, five, six times on my own before a professional editor gets a hold of it.

It's a damn good thing I've invested over six years in this book. Otherwise I might scrap the whole thing. That's a little harsh. Actually, I really like the story as it is for the most part. I really like most of the characters, especially the potential they have to be great characters. I like all the ideas I've had for continuing this as a series, including a prequel.

Here's a piece of advice for those of you blessed and cursed with inspiration. Don't be disillusioned. If you think you really have something, stick with it, even if the tweaking you still have to do looks daunting. Take a step back and look at the big picture. Think of your vision manifested in this world in all its glory. If that doesn't get you going again, well, sometimes you just need to start over from the beginning. Just remember, nothing you create is a complete waste.

Don't you just love giving yourself little pep talks?

No comments: