Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Letters from the Lost Man, Part 1

It's dark...like my eyes are just floating in nothingness. The kind of black that makes you start to wonder where the rest of your body is. If it weren't for your sense of touch, you might think you had died. That's scary: to die and find that not only is there nothing, but also that you are completely aware of it. Maybe that's why the dark is so unnerving. No, I don't think that's it. I think we're just afraid of the unknown. That's kind of dumb, though, isn't it? I mean, if some huge, many-fanged beast from hell were standing over me ready to devour, I think it would be more scary to see it. But it's dark, and here I am...scared.
I feel around for some reminder of my surroundings. Where was I last? What do I remember before lamely opening my eyes to see the same thing I saw when they were closed? Nothing. I remember nothing. I call out, but I hear no sound. Even my own voice is rendered useless in this dead place. There I go, thinking about death again. Where the hell is everybody? Who the hell is everybody?
My fingers brush nothing. I take a few unsteady steps, but they don't really seem to take me anywhere because none of my senses are telling me anything different than they were just a second ago. What the hell is going on here? Where the hell is here anyways?
Did I get really drunk somewhere last night? I would assume if I did I would have a hangover, but I don't. Actually, aside from the disorienting sensation that I am nowhere right now, I feel great. So, what is this? What's going on?
Ok, start from square one. First of all, do I know who I am? Of course I do, that's a dumb question. I'm...uh. Well, I'm... Hmm, that's funny...of all the things to forget. If I did any sort of mind-altering drug last night, it was sure as hell a lot more potent than alcohol. How do you forget your own name?
Ok, don't panic. I'm sure I knew my name just a second ago. It feels like it's about to drop from my lips, but I just can't seem to give it that last shove. I'm not sure what good it would do. Even if I said it, I wouldn't hear myself. Man, I am really starting to feel uncomfortable about this. I walk forward a bit with my arms stretched out before me. When I run into nothing, I walk a little faster. Ok, so how do I know I'm not dead right now?

"Pulse, 82 bea-..."

What the hell was that? Out of nowhere there's a flash of light. If it weren't for the fact that I'm not all that sure I can see in the first place, I would think the light blinded me. But what was that voice? It said something about a pulse. Maybe she was talking about my pulse. Could I be in the hospital? Maybe I'm in the emergency room. I might have been in some terrible accident, and they're working feverishly to save my life.
But then, her voice sounded pretty calm. There were no other sounds. Maybe the hint of a beep from, say, a heart monitor. That must be it. I'm in the hospital. But why? What happened? My name is-... Damn, why can't I remember? Anyways, ok, so I'm in the hospital. I don't know why, but I don't think I'm in any immediate danger of dying...not that that's overly comforting right now.

"...you sure he isn't aware of anything, docto-"

There it is again! That voice. Yes! Yes, I am aware! Help me! I don't know where I am or what's going on!

...

Hello!

...

Damn... I'm not sure why I thought that would work. Ok, then. I'll just wait. Let me just try to relax. I must be wavering in and out of consciousness. I'm waking up; I'm sure of it. In a few minutes I'll find out what's going on. Just wait. Relax...and wait...

To be continued...

No comments: