Thursday, April 06, 2006

Don't Judge Me...

AT least not by my cover. Today's post is about prejudice in general but racism in particular. You want to hear a sweeping generalization? All racists are ignorant. I know there are educated racists out there, but an attitude so heinous as racism is a choice made despite what knowledge you may have to the contrary. That's ignorance on a level that seems unfathomable to me. But it happens...

So, what brings on this latest tirade? I was watching this reality show called "Black. White." I know, I know, I hate reality TV too, but this is a fascinating premise. Take two families, one white, one black, and make them up to look like the opposite family's race. Then have these two families go out into the community and see what happens. Yes, a fascinating premise indeed, but I don't think they could have chosen two worse families to do this with. Granted, the choice was proabably made due to the high level of drama it would generate, but I think that messes up some the experiment. Let me explain what bugs me.

First, let's take the white family. What a bunch of hippie-turned-yuppie, strange, ignorant people they are. The mother is ablsolutely insane. Her brain is simply not connected to her mouth. She says things that she seriously believes will be taken positively, or at least in jest, and it's actually something that even I would find offensive, and believe it or not, I'm pretty easygoing. The father just seems oblivious. It's not very far into the show, but so far he almost seems like a nonentity. He thinks he knows what it means to be black or how to fit in as a black man...he's totally oblivious. About the only decent one of all of them is their teenage daughter, who revealed to the black poetry group she had been hanging out with that she was actually a white girk in black make-up. I think that was pretty ballsy. Fortunately, only one person freaked out, and he may well have been speaking about his own ambiguous lifestyle when chastizing her for her deception.

Now, the black family. The mom is okay. At least she's not as insane as the white mom, but she's easily offended, a drama factor that plays well with the white mom's hair trigger tear ducts. The dad is likewise sensitive, but it seems like he's scrutinizing every little reaction, statement, etc. for anything that might possibly be construed in some alternate universe in another dimension as even slightly racist. So far they haven't really followed the son around very much, but his attitude seems to be a mix of his parents'.

While the producers have tailor made a volatile situation, as is the requisite for "good" reality TV, it does seem to highlight an issue that I think is important in understanding the state of racism today. There are really two dynamics going on that exacerbate the existing racism in this country. One is that racism is not nearly as omnipresent as some blacks (and a few other minority members) would like to believe. The other, of course, is that it's far more prevalent than most white people care to admit. I don't think one side is any worse than the other. Ignoring racism won't make it go away, and assuming all people of a specific ethnicity are racist is, in itself, racist.

I'd like to think I am not racist. When I look at another person, I see just a person, regardless of ethnicity, heritage, color, etc. These two dynamics I spoke of, however, sometimes have me thinking of things in more complex ways than should be necessary. When I see a black man, I make no assumptions about how amiable he will be, what his job is, what his family situation is, but if I interact with him, I sometimes find myself unconsciously running everything I say and do through this little filter in my head that asks, "Okay, could this be even unreasonably interpreted as racist?" That sucks! It's totally unfair. I want to be in total control of my thoughts, words and actions, but society has me and everyone else so keyed up about race, it's making almost all of us at least a little bit racist. Because once you start to change how you act and even think around someone based on their race, that's racism, even if it's with good intentions.

I don't want to be racist, and I don't want anyone else to be either. This failure for each side to tone down the exaggeration is almost worse than having them be straight up racist. Like the black family's mom said, at least in the old days, before the civil rights movement, you knew what you were dealing with. The black father was sort of right in saying that racism is a little more covert. Yes, there are probably plenty of straight up racists that are just faking tolerance because of the modern push for true equality, but I think the real covert racism is the unconscious kind of "hyporacism" that most of us are guilty of nowadays. We don't think we're racist, but we're exercising racism by either ignoring it, assuming it, or going to extremes to make people think we aren't.

When it comes right down to it...I guess I really am straight up racist: I have something against the human race, which biologically speaking, is the only true race of homo sapiens sapiens. Humans are dumb. There are a few shining hopefuls among us, but we are, on the whole, pretty stupid. We do the dumbest, most backwards things and don't even realize how we're hindering our own progress. If I were an alien, I think I'd have to insist you drink from your own fountain, and I would definitely make you sit at the back of the spaceship...

No comments: