Sunday, April 16, 2006

Modern Convenience

I figured I'd take a break from my lately typical political ramblings to talk about something else that pisses me off...namely my computer. There is nothing on this planet, and I mean nothing, that can more quickly get me frustrated than my computer. Nothing can ever be simple with this machine! I try to do something; it doesn't work. I try to fix it; something else doesn't work. Aaargh!

You know what really makes me angry about it, though? There is one thing that all my years of education and experience in the computer science field have taught me, and that is computers don't do anything you don't, at some point, tell them to do. Ok, yeah, if the power flickers while you're flashing the BIOS or the flasher program just freezes on its own, that's not necessarily your fault. But if you update one piece of software and install another after months of surfing the web without virus and/or spyware protection, guess what...that's your bad.

I want to be mad at my computer. I really do. It's easy to do. It's an inanimate object that won't get offended my projecting my own stupidity onto it. There's one problem, though. I can't just do that. When I know it's me...I know it's me. My conscious mind won't let me just pass the blame off on my dumb computer with its ineffable will and proven nefarious intent toward me. And that just make me madder.

Usually I just end up throwing up my hands and walking away. Well, I do that after I spend about an hour and a half yelling at the poor machine (okay, so I start off blaming it a little bit). Little by little I troubleshoot over a couple of days and either figure it out or end up doing a complete reinstall, which I hate to do, but it is my last resort solution.

Anyways, needless to say, I've been having some trouble lately. Whether it's with me or my computer, well...I'd have to say it's probably me. I just hate that my computer feels the need to constantly remind me why I am no better than any of the users who have come to me whining, "My computer doesn't work...piece of sh!t!" That's why I refuse to call tech support. It isn't that I think I couldn’t possibly have caused the problem or that it couldn't possibly be a problem I can't fix. It's that I know I did cause it and probably can't fix it without losing a lot of hair.

There you go. The reason we haven't figured out a cure for baldness is because we keep inventing things that are more efficient at making us rip our hair out. And before you ask, I am not bald...I have a full, thick head of hair. I'm just not sure how long it will last if my computer doesn't start doing what I want it to do instead of what I tell it to do.

2 comments:

J. A. Goguen said...

Justin,

Of course you "will have to argue"...talk about thick headed!

Isn't it great to have friends that are comedians?

As for our new computer overlords...I highly doubt they could do as bad a job as we have.

J. A. Goguen said...

That's true, but usually I've done something else in between the times that did work and the time that didn't work to screw something up. I just usually don't know what that something was, so it appears that my computer has finally grown weary of doing the same thing a hundred times...which it shouldn't; that's exactly what computers were designed to do.