Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Letters from the Lost Man, Part 5.5

Now, where was I?

Oh, yeah...the darkness.

No, that isn't right at all. I was...in a hospital...a medical facility. There was a doct-, no wait, a nurse. That's right. Loretta. There was something about my memory...obviously. What was it?

But I'm in back in the darkness now. Or is it just dark in here? I have the distinct feeling I'm in some sort of "here". The question is, just where would that here be? It smells like gauze and alcohol swabs. I guess that answers that question.

What's that over there? A window... I don't remember there being a window there. Of course, that's why I'm here, isn't it? I can't remember. Loretta told me something...something I wasn't supposed to know. She was trying to help me, wasn't she?

Man, it's a bit chilly in here. This blanket isn't really doing much for me.

I look around as all my surroundings become more defined. The light is increasing slowly. I realize it's the sunrise through the window. It's a plain, white little room. There's another bed closer to the door, but it's empty. A TV hangs on the opposite wall. And what's this?

CALL NURSE

That's weird. For some reason, I don't think this call button is supposed to be here, just like the window. Let's push the button and see what happens.

...

"Good morning! Comfy?" a particularly bubbly nurse chirps as she pops into the room

Well, she's perky. "Not really. I'm cold," I explain, not really sure what else to say.

She frowns. "Aw, well, let's get you some more blankets, 'kay?"

Man, if she does that squeaky thing with her voice one more time, I'm going to get up out of this bed and knock her out.

"How are we feeling today, other than cold and cranky?" she asks as she closes the window.

I'm about to be a bit more than cranky, but to her I say, "Fine, I guess. Where's Loretta?"

Blank stare. "Loretta?" she parrots.

"Yes," I confirm testily, "The nurse who was here yesterday."

She shakes her head. "I don't know any Loretta that works here. I attended to you yesterday and the day before that."

I squint at her. Okay...I'm definitely getting weird vibes. And, man, does my side hurt! Just then, it occurs to me to ask, "Say, where am I, anyway?"

"West Wisconsin University Medical Center," she answers matter-of-factly.

Hmm...I think she just made that up. "Ah," I say, wincing through the pain that has now decided to start throbbing.

The nurse nods in feigned sympathy. "Looks like it's time for somebody's medicine," she coos.

"Why am I here?" seems the next logical question.

"Well, honey," she explains as she fills a hypodermic with what I hope is morphine, "You were hit by a truck."

...

No comments: