Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Letters from the Lost Man, Part 6

Hit by a truck? That doesn't sound right. Wasn't that a dream? Maybe the other thing was a dream. What was that other thing again? Man, this is confusing. And that feels really good.

A warm numbness spreads over me. It doesn't really take the pain away; it just distracts me from it with more insistent sensations of happy-time goodness. I love opiates. The problem is they really don't help me sort all this out.

"How long have I been here?" I ask woozily.

"About three days. Well...four as of this morning," Nurse Bubbly answers.

Three days? I wonder if my wife knows. I do have a wife, don't I? Man, I'm feeling really tired.

"You should go to sleep, then," the nurse answers.

Holy crap! Did I say that out loud? I thought I was just thinking it. Wow, this stuff is really strong. I don't even feel the pain anymore. That's good. Now I have nothing distracting me from...

From what?

The darkness... It's calling to me. What before seemed such a scary and lonely place, now seemed peaceful and comforting. The sweet solitude is so welcoming after...all this.

No. This isn't the darkness. Where the hell am I?

...

"Oh, don't you just love a good book?"

"Mm..." I find myself compelled to say in response.

"Darling?"

I blink.

"Are you quite alright?"

"Oh yes, dear," I reply instinctively, but I'm not really sure I'm alright at all. Looking around, I take in the rolling green hills of the countryside. It's a lovely setting, if a bit overcast, though it doesn't really look as though it will rain. And even more beautiful is the young lady across from me. She grins and bats her eyelashes at me, clutching her book to her breast.

"If we leave now, we shall be back in time for tea," she says.

"Then let's hurry," I answer. I grin mischievously and jump up at a run.

The young lady chases after me, giggling the whole way.

I can't help but wonder what's going on. Though I don't feel like I've ever been here before, my feet carry me on a path they seem to know quite well. I can't really say I know who this girl is, but she seems quite familiar with me as she calls playfully to me in what I can only describe as "The Queen's English". Ah well, here I am. I suppose there's not much for me to do but watch what happens.

...

"Well, where have you two been?"

My companion wrinkles her nose at her elder sister. "We were out basking in the joy another day in each other's arms!" she shouts dramatically.

Her sister gasps and covers her mouth. "Elizabeth! Don't let mother hear you say such things. It isn't proper for a girl your age."

Liz scowls. "I'll be sixteen in but a few short weeks, Jane. I'm practically a woman."

Oh, jeez...she's underage. This is bad.

"That may be so," Jane concedes, "but until then, you have other obligations."

I clear my throat uncomfortably. "Perhaps I should be going."

"Nonsense!" Liz cries. "Stay for tea."

"Oh, indeed," Jane sighs. "You may as well."

"Really, Jane, jealousy doesn't suite you," the younger girl teases her sibling.

Jane looks appalled. "You...you horrid little beast!"

"No, really," I insist. "I do have to be going."

Jane smiles politely. "Yes, it might be for the best. Father is home, and he may not be in the mood to entertain company."

"Why wouldn't he be?" Elizabeth prods.

"Well," Jane begins matter-of-factly, "Reginald saw a man in a black robe in the garden last night. Father had to speak with the constable, and now he's all out of sorts. I shouldn't be surpri-"

"Wait," I interrupt. "Did you say a man in a black robe?"

"Yes, I did." Jane confirms. "Why do you ask?"

I shake my head. "I thought I saw the same..."

What did I see? When was that? This isn't right. I don't belong here.

Wake up!

...

"Good morning, sleepyhead."

Damn...Nurse Bubbly again. The other place was better. This has got to stop.

...

No comments: